Thursday, May 05, 2005

Responses...#2 "The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God"

This response is what I wrote after reading a portion (first 100 or so pages) of "The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God" by John Frame. This book served as a major stepping stone in my thought process as it introduced a pivotal concept. Actually, I had the concept already, Frame just put it in words for me. Anyway, here you go....

I have had this circle rolling around in my mind that I have been struggling to verbalize for about six months now. The circle is not an object, but rather a process that started forming as I read Longing to Know. Actually, let me rephrase that. The process had always been there, but my ability to recognize it as something to be able to describe, something to convey, has been becoming more and more developed, and, as a result, the struggle has become active. While reading Longing to Know I began to piece together this process that involved seeing things, everything, as parts of a whole. I saw a natural progression in which these wholes, the patterns, themselves also played the role of parts of a larger whole. This process, if taken at its face value, would seem to go on ad infinitum: you just keep on knowing and knowing as wholes become pieces which are part of whole that are pieces, etc., etc., etc.. However, this would seem to make knowing futile. For if we cannot see an end, or rather a culmination, an ultimate whole, to our knowing, than can it be said that we can truly know anything? Pieces need a whole or they are not truly pieces.
So what is this whole that is the ultimate culmination of our knowledge? In my circle, it is God. God is the whole that all the pieces fit into. As the clues, which come from the universe created by God, form into patterns they reveal God to us in some way; and as those revelations mesh with others, forming a new pattern or whole, they reveal yet something else. That is the upward arc of the circle. Now, describing the downward arc is where I run into trouble. It is one of those classic instances of knowing more than I can tell. It’s not that I’m not sure of how it works; rather I am not able to find the words to put it into a picture.
When I read the introduction to the first chapter of The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God, I nearly cried. Not of sorrow, but of joy, relief, confidence, assurance. I saw my circle, or least a representation of it. “The biblical God is the God of the covenant, the Creator and sustainer of the world, the Redeemer and judge of men. So we cannot know God without knowing other things at the same time,” (Frame, 10). I believe this is pretty much what I have said. Things we come to know reveal God. But he goes on. “And, quite importantly, we cannot know other things rightly without knowing God rightly.” Oh, my! Like Evangelist pointing the way to Pilgrim, this Frame has been where I’m going! The relationship between the things that we know revealing God and God revealing the things that we know, is what I have always been aware of but have been unable to relay. But, in sentences preceding these two, Frame offers what I see to be the missing link between the circle in my head and the circle in my mouth. “The biblical God is the God of the covenant, the Creator and sustainer of the world, the redeemer and judge of men.” The covenantal relationship between God and all creation, a separate covenant from the one between Him and His elect people, defines the operation of not only revealing Himself through the clues, but revealing the clues through Himself. We start off seeing, to use an example from Frame’s book, a rose, and we, believer or unbeliever, say truly that the rose is red. But, if and when we are given the grace to see that the redness of the rose reveals God, we then say, more truly, that God has made the rose red, which illuminates the true being, the true beauty of the rose. God revealed himself to us through the rose, and now, in knowing the culmination of knowledge that the rose attends to, we see the rose differently than we did before. The rose is then revealed to us through God as it fulfills its covenant role. Because all creation, the very cosmos is in covenant with Him, We cannot rightly know God without knowing things, and we cannot rightly know things without knowing God.
This is how I now reconcile Frame’s assertion that unbelievers cannot but know God. The unbelievers, though in rebellion against God, are given their rebellion and mutinous will by God. They can do nothing other than rebel, thus they are in obedience to, or fulfillment of their role in the covenant. This is how they know God, and, unless determined otherwise by God alone in His divine order, they will be clues to, a piece of the whole of, God as they are used to demonstrate God’s justice and wrath. Just as the rebellious generation was doomed to die in the wilderness, unbelievers are on the same journey as believers, and are therefore beneficiaries of the blessings of that journey, but they will not reach the Promised Land. Their unbelief and their condemnation point to God and His various characteristics. Unbelievers cannot but glorify God in their covenantal lot; they know Him through their unalterable obedience and inescapable role in God’s covenant with them of history and purpose, His covenant of how He determined things should be. God is the unavoidable known.
The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God is a natural progression of Longing to Know. Meek’s book declares that we can know God and, as the final chapter states, we are known by God. Frame continues that discussion by saying that not only can we know God, but that, indeed, we can’t not know Him, and by explaining exactly what that requires of, and how it bears on, our tacit knowing.
In journaling while reading Longing to Know for the first time I had said that I felt like a newborn learning to see. Colors became clearer, edges sharper and more defined, and light began to separate from darkness. As I read Frame, I felt like a toddler learning to talk. It seems that I’m starting to grow up.

3 Comments:

At 05 May, 2005 22:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Ian- Your big brother here. Mom told me you had started a blog, so I was eager to check it out. Wonderful stuff. Your insights and the way you express them are thoughtful, mature and spot on. I am simultaneously proud and embarassed- proud to know that your my brother, and embarassed by my own atrophying brain and cognitive processes, i.e, all I can say is "Yeah! What he said"

Looks like I'll have to settle to for being the good-looking brother ;)

Love, Matt

 
At 07 July, 2005 14:02, Blogger Ian said...

David,

OK. A good night's sleep and a day off from work has done wonders. Let's talk....

To your first point, I believe a simple clarification is in order. In saying that, "Pieces need a whole or they are not truly pieces," I was speaking more to the character of the thing being able to be known than to our ability to know it. Certainly even in the working out and progression of our faith, our very sanctification, we know pieces of the Tri-une God without fully knowing the whole of Him. However, because those pieces do have a whole, they are able to be known by us; they attend to something. Apply this to the knowledge of anything. If the pieces do not have a whole to point to, can they be truly known. Really this is not much more than a restatement of the concept of the Unmoved Mover. Unless there is something that is objective over everything else, that does not have a cause or attend to anything prior to itself, then nothing can exist.

Second, the pantheistic feel is something that I became aware of as I was writing. I did try to avoid it as much as possible, but sometimes I just could not come up with better words than what I wrote. Let me try to alleviate some concerns. I think that it would be helpful if I mentioned that when I refer to knowing God, I am meaning to say that we know more about God as we come to know more of His character and actions through His revelation to us. I agree that when we look at a tree we are not looking at God, but rather something that can reveal the nature and character of God to us. Working off your example of a finely crafted ale (slainte!), I too would say that I see a glass of God's goodness, but I would also go further by saying that if I see God's goodness, then I also see that God is good. The ale has revealed more of the character of God to me. In that sense, I see God in the ale. I do not, however, see the ale as God.

I will enjoy the example of Flannery O'Conner, and thank you for the complement regarding the covenant/creation link. That particular concept has been a tremendous stepping stone, or launching pad, for alot of what I've been working through lately. It is my humble hope that it might bless your future endeavors.

Onto Calvinism; your fourth point. This is either going to be an issue of semantics, or we simply disagree. Let me start with the Confession, which says that God foreordains all things to confirm the freedom of His creatures. I believe that what I am saying is in agreement with that. Without turning this into a discussion on freewill, let me say this: Man is free to do whatever his will desires. However, the unregenerate man has a will that can only rebel against God, and only God can relieve him of that will by giving him a new one. Depending on how you view election, God either chooses whom He regenerates, or He looks through time and sees who will accept Christ. Believing the former to be the biblical model, I then say that in choosing whom He will save, God therefore purposefully does not choose others. I refer you to Romans 9:

21 Or does not the potter have a right over the clay, to make from the same lump one vessel for honorable use, and another for common use?
22 What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?
23 And He did so in order that He might make known the riches of His glory upon vessels of mercy, which He prepared beforehand for glory,

Verse 23 seems to indicate that God intentionally foreordained some to damnation just as He did others to glory, and that His glory would be revealed through it. As I see it, the covenant concept ties into it in that the non-elect are so by virtue of God's action, not His inaction, and that they are bound to their role in God's determined history of events. Their covenant lot in the working out of time, the acting out of God's plan, is to suffer His judgement. In doing so, they serve as clues to the character and plan of God.

You made one more point that I have yet to touch on, however, time does not allow for it right now. I'll get back to you on it, though.

Again, thank you so much for your kind words, thoughtful input, and the building up of this brother. I hope to hear (read!) from you again.

Ian



SDG

 
At 07 July, 2005 16:58, Blogger Ian said...

Reallly quick,

"Man is free to do whatever his will desires."

I don't like how I worded this. I'll take another stab at it a little later.

Ian

 

Post a Comment

<< Home